Tuesday, April 1, 2014

March Monthly Re-Read (The Secret Circle by L.J. Smith)

Monthly Re-Read is something I'm going to be doing every month in 2014. I'm going to re-read one book a month and then blogging about it. To learn more and see the post where I introduced the idea, click HERE. 

The Secret Circle: The Captive Part II and The Power (The Secret Circle, #2-3)The Secret Circle by L.J. Smith
Release Date: April 9, 2009 (again, this is the date Goodreads is giving me, even though I know these were released in the '90s)
Format: Paperback, Omnibus, 390 pages
Publisher: Harper Teen
Series: The Secret Circle #2-3
Source: Bought

Description from Goodreads

Caught in the struggle between good and evil . . .

Cassie has joined the most alluring--and deadly--in-crowd imaginable. But power comes with a price, and it's more dangerous than she knows. Torn between the dueling desires of the two leaders of the Secret Grcle, she must ultimately choose between saving all of New Salem, and her own dangerous love for the bewitching Adam, which threatens to tear the circle apart. In the ultimate battle between good and evil, will Cassie's supernatural powers be strong enough to lead the coven out of danger? Or will she foil prey to the dark forces within?

. . . will she sacrifice her love for the circle to survive?


I remember pretty much dying while waiting to borrow this book. I'd finished the first half of the trilogy over the weekend, so I had to wait until I saw my friend at school on Monday to return the first book and then wait another day for her to bring this one to me. I am not a very patient person, and I re-read that little snippet teaser they give you in the back of the first book countless times during my wait.

Also, I know I was freaking out over what may or may not go on with Nick. I was somewhat obsessed with everything that had happened with him in the first volume--especially the parts right up near the end, where he was all "Steady, steady" (which of course made me swoon) and then when Cassie asked him to the Halloween dance. I know I was probably supposed to think he was a jerk, but all I wanted to do was learn more about him and understand him, so I was hoping so hard for he and Cassie to end up going to the dance together...or something...after all. In this half of the trilogy.

What DOES end up happening...well. It's something I wish could have panned out differently, but it's also one of those things that is better than nothing in my eyes. And I am definitely looking forward to getting into it all again. 

So, yeah. What I remember about this half of the trilogy is that it was the chocolate icing on the cake of awesome that is this trilogy. And that I spent more time worrying/thinking about Nick than anything. Hoping. Possibly dreading, since it was always kind of obvious how the romance thing would go. 

Just like when I read these books for the first time, I am at a loss for words right now and just want to READ. Read the crap out of this magical book. So I'm going to get to it. I know for sure I'm going to have bunches to say once I finish this one. Things about character growth and Nick (of course) and the romance aspects of the trilogy as a whole. 

Yeah, I have THINGS to say. 

But first, I must go read. Be back when I'm done hanging with my fav boy Nick ;)

This half of the trilogy is my favorite. I much prefer it to the first half, though I DO enjoy them both. I just enjoy this one more. Mostly because of Nick. Nick is kind of the largest reason for my obsession with these books. He's awesome. But still, he's not the only thing I noticed this time around.

The biggest thing for me (aside from Nick) is Cassie's character arc. It's actually kind of fantastic. She went from being a shy, obedient girl in The Initiation to being a strong leader in The Power. That's a huge leap, and I love it. She's like the ideal female MC, in my opinion. And that's saying a lot since I am so hard on female characters.

Speaking of characters! I love them all. Every single one. Kind of. Okay, not really. But I do love all of the circle, except Faye. Speaking of FAYE...I always pictured her as a young Christina Applegate. Like from when she was in Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead. For no real reason other than I think she looks like a Faye. *shrugs*

But the characters. The Henderson brothers freaking rock. They're all cute and stuff. And they're all so NICE to each other. They're one big group of friends, and I find that so appealing. Wouldn't be so cool to have that? 

And the witch stuff. I find that incredibly interesting. Witches are one of my favorite things, right behind werewolves/shifters. It's cool to have all that kind of power, and such a heritage that builds it all up. I always love reading witch books, and learning more. Especially when I'm reading one and I already KNOW things. Like, go me!

Okay, the biggest, #1 thing for me with these books: Nick. And the romance. I kind of shift between feeling sympathy for Adam and wanting to slap him across the face. He HAD Diana. And then he got all close with Cassie, in about five seconds. Seriously, I never understood how their relationship ever grew as it did. They spent minimal time together. But whatever. Adam. Kind of a douche, if you think about it. I know he didn't do it intentionally, but still. I call it like I see it.

I would have chosen Nick. All day every day. I get that he was all cold before. But he was always THERE. And he was always a decent person. (Don't try to tell me how he yelled at Cassie in his garage that one time. Because he apologized, and I accepted it, so I'm moving on...) I don't feel like Cassie gave Nick an actual chance. She kind of half-assed it, which bothers me to no end. I always wish that we could have spin-offs or something with ALL of the characters from this series (though I am aware that this will never happen), and Nick is my #1 as far as that want goes. He needs his own story where he can be happy and in love, preferably with a chick named Jessica. 

I could rant all day long about how Nick deserved a fair shot, and Cassie didn't give him that. But we've all got better things to do, yes? Like read and stuff. So I'll leave that there. I really don't have much more commentary on these books. I loved reading them again--mostly so I could get to the Nick parts, but also so I could watch Cassie grow again. It's magnificent. Knowing what was going to happen didn't really hinder the experience any, especially because I really sat down ANTICIPATING the awesome parts I love. And then there were the parts I forgot about that I was so flipping happy to see--like swimming with the Circle, and Nick smiling. Always Nick smiling.

Ahhh, these books make me feel happy. I'm so glad I gave them another go.


3 comments:

  1. If you look up the original copies, you get the original dates, even on Goodreads......

    #1 - The Initiation (Published 1992 by HarperPrism) - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/879215.The_Initiation

    #2 - The Captive (Published October 15th 1992 by Eos) - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/293983.The_Captive

    #3 - The Power (Published November 15th 1992 by Eos) - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/395921.The_Power

    The date you gave is proper for the omnibus you pictured, though.

    Have fun with the re-read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I loved this as the tv show! I am going to have to add the books to read as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read the books but I loved the show!! It was awesome! I love Cassie too and the characters get you hooked, so no wonder you got hooked on Nick :)

    Lovely reviews :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! Comments make my day. I do read all the comments you post and try to reply if I can. If you leave a link, I will most definitely check it out! If you specifically ask a question, please check back for my reply!

As of October 2012, Just a Booklover is an award-free blog. I appreciate it so much that you want to award me with something, though!