Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Top Ten Books I'd Recommend to My Best Friend

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish! 

Before I get into this, I should probably clarify which best friend I'm talking about. Because two read my blog, so yeah...this one's for my friend Vicki. Because if I were to do this whole post for Perez, it would be me shoving my favorite books at him instead of taking anything he likes into account. At least with Vicki, I know we like a lot of the same things so I can actually recommend stuff. 

Plus, she's always asking me for recs. So two birds with one stone, WOOT!

The Selection by Kiera Cass
The Selection (The Selection, #1) 
I've been telling Vicki she needs to read this book for a while now. It's cute, but not TOO fluffy, and I think she'd love Maxon just like I do. Then again, maybe she'd like Aspen better. Either way, she'd love one of them and have a great time reading this. A prince and a competition to become a princess/soon-to-be-queen! Dude. It's great.

Two Roads by L.M. Augustine  
Two Roads  
She's read Click to Subscribe (which I may or may not have told her to read repeatedly until she took my advice) and enjoyed it. So it makes sense that she'd want to give the next book by that author a shot, eh? It's fabulousness! This one is new adult, but she has been getting into that lately, which makes this book even more perfect. Also, I honestly think she'd appreciate the poetry aspects. 

Slammed by Colleen Hoover 
Slammed (Slammed, #1) 
SPEAKING OF POETRY. Vicki, you need this book in your life. Goodness, there's a poem in here called "Schooled" that I adore and you would love the crap out of. Just like the rest of this book. Will is magnificent and Colleen Hoover works her magic. I don't know how she turns this story into something so beautiful, but she DOES. She does, she does, she does.

How to Ruin a Summer Vacation by Simone Elkeles 
   How to Ruin a Summer Vacation (How to Ruin, #1) 
Hey, Vix, recognize them? AHHHHHHHH. If you get this from the library, you'll probably get the other cover, but whatever. PEPE. Anyhoo. Other than Pepe, this is my favorite series by Simone Elkeles, so after you finished this one, you'd have to read books 2 and 3. The MC in this is hilarious as all get out and I LOVE the guy, Avi. I call dibs. He's one of my all time favs. So read this. Then the other two. And then read other Simone Elkeles books. Because they are wonderful.

Stay by Deb Caletti 
Stay 
 Deb Caletti is one of my favorite contemporary authors, in general. Stay is without a doubt my favorite by her. I don't know what to say about this one except READ IT. I love it and wish to goodness that I owned it for myself so I could re-read it whenever I wanted. Yeah, it's that great.

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins 
Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) 
 This book is cute as eff and set in France. Oh, and the guy? Has an ACCENT. An adorable English one. Lighthearted and fun, I know for a fact that you'd love this book to death and beyond. For real.

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan 
 Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist 
This one is super short, but super good, too. There's a music base to this story, which I know you'd enjoy, and the whole idea of this story is fun and cute and just plain great. I think you'd adore Nick and Norah and their fun little adventure. ;)

The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken 
The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1) 
FOR HOW LONG HAVE I BEEN TRYING TO GET YOU TO READ THIS BOOK?! I love this book more than I love cake. One of my favorite reads of the year, and I know you're more picky about your paranormal and whatnot, but honestly this book is fantastic enough to get past that. The MC doesn't make me want to beat her up, there's a guy named Liam who is sweet as can be and uses the word "darlin'" on a regular basis (which I swooned at EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.), and Chubs. I can't even TELL you about Chubs. You need to read this book and experience him. DO IT, DO IT, DOOO EEEEET.

If I Stay by Gayle Forman 
If I Stay (If I Stay, #1) 
 I think this author in general would be one you'd love. Her books are so thought-provoking, and you get ALL THE FEELS. This was the first book by her I read (courtesy pf Ashley, actually) and I think you'd like it, too. It's gorgeous. And Adam Wilde...ohhh, Adam.

King Hall by Scarlett Dawn 
King Hall  (Forever Evermore, #1) 
 I've realized that you lean more towards contemporaries. Obviously. 7/10 of the books on this list are contemporary. But you DO like paranormal when it's done well (like JLA! And Victoria Scott!) and we're really loving new adult (need I remind you of The Edge of Never? And Cam's cookies. Hehehe). So this is a mix of those two. This is one of my favorite books this year and it is freaking amazeballs. I call dibs on Ezra, but I think you'll love Jack enough to be cool with having him. This book has four friends that are so completely amusing and sweet together I could burst right now just talking about it. READ THIS BOOK. You need it in your life.

Two Bonus Recs: 
Because I'm a good friend here are two more quick recs I think you'd enjoy (plus, ten just wasn't enough. Ahhhhhh)--

Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone 
Time Between Us (Time Between Us, #1)  
Set in 1995 with a time traveling, swoon-worthy boy, this is another book with music at its core that I think you'd really love. It was one of my favorites last year and I truly think you should give it a go.

Strange Angels by Lili St. Crow 
Strange Angels (Strange Angels, #1)  
 You know how I love the Covenant series, right? Well, this series is right next to that one as one of my favorites. Dru is snarky and badass. And I think you'd totally be Team Graves, which means I'd get Christophe all to myself. WOOT! This is another paranormal one I really think you'd end up loving right along with me.

Funny, I added two extras and I STILL have some books I want to put on this list. Sigh. Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater. That's all I'm going to say. ;)

That's it for my list! What do ya think? Did you make a list? Link me up!

♥Jessica(:  

2 comments:

  1. Hell yes on Slammed and Anna and the French Kiss! I have that Simone Elkeles series (with Pepe on the covers) but I haven't read them yet. I must. Is King Hall that good? I just saw book two on NetGalley and it also looked really good. Gonnza have to check out book one. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picks! I definitely want to read a lot of these!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! Comments make my day. I do read all the comments you post and try to reply if I can. If you leave a link, I will most definitely check it out! If you specifically ask a question, please check back for my reply!

As of October 2012, Just a Booklover is an award-free blog. I appreciate it so much that you want to award me with something, though!