Monday, July 1, 2013

Top Ten Most Intimidating Books

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted over at The Broke and the Bookish!
 
When I first saw today's topic, I was all like "HOW AM I EVER GOING TO THINK OF ENOUGH BOOKS?!?!?!!" Then I sat down and actually thought about it. My list was actually pretty hefty. You'd be amazed how many books intimidate me. I have learned that I am seriously afraid of books.
 
So, with that in mind, here is the list...
 
My Top Ten Most Intimidating Books:
 
Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins
Sweet Evil (The Sweet Trilogy, #1) 
I have had conversations with SEVERAL people about this. All of my favorite bookish people have told me that I must read this book, and yet I have not. Because of all of the books, this one, hands down, intimidates me the most. I am terrified to read it. There is so much hype and so many people telling me I'm going to love it, I am constantly worried that I won't. I mean, I already heart Kai (he was even interviewed on my blog in February!), but still. I. Am. So. Scared. AHHHHHHHHH. I really want to get to this one soon, though. Wendy Higgins is a lovely person, and the people I trust the most with bookish opinions are in love with this book, so it should turn out fine. I'm just a big baby.
 
Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Obsidian (Lux, #1) 
Are we supposed to include books we've already read? Oh well. I am, because before I read this book, I was actually worried I would not like it. I chuckle at that now, because this book is complete awesome sauce (as is Jen), but there was also loads of hype around this book and a long line of people assuring me I'd love it. Fun fact: When people tell me I'm going to love something, I usually do, but only after freaking out about it for a good while. But then I had this book in my hands, and I was soooooooo happy, and I had finished my current read, so I was like "Welp. Why not?" And started it. And now here I am, 13 months later, a big time JLA fangirl. Funny how life goes, eh?
 
Bloodlines by Richelle Mead
Bloodlines (Bloodlines, #1) 
I've already read this one as well, but this was different than Obsidian. I wasn't worried because of hype before I read it. I just spent a good amount of time psyching myself out. Reading negative reviews on Goodreads, imagining all the ways this book could not be what I wanted it to be. But then I got bored, sat down, and read it, and I heart it. Adrian is as amazing as ever, y'all. <3
 
The Host by Stephenie Meyer
The Host (The Host, #1)
I haven't read it. I'm not even sure I will. But...darn it, that movie just came out (which I have not seen) and now I'm all kinds of curious about this freaking book. But it is MASSIVE, and apparently about aliens? Ha, and not the hot kind? I don't even know. I checked it out from the library once but never got to it because, again, it is ginormous. So now I stall. Maybe I'll read it, maybe I won't, but for now it intimidates me from afar.
 
Never Fade by Alexandra Bracken
Never Fade (The Darkest Minds, #2) 
I LOVELOVELOVED the first book, The Darkest Minds. One of my favorite books. And that is exactly where my fear comes in. The sequel. Holy crap, you guys. This is surely going to be highly emotional and heart-killing. And what if I don't like it as much as the first one? And my biggest fear of all--WHAT IF CHUBS DIES?!?! I mean, I obviously want things to work out with my boy Liam and his accent and that "darlin'" thing he does that sets my heart aflutter. But Chubs...I can't even go there. So yeah. This book scares me. It's on my Kindle as we speak, and I'll surely give in soon.
 
Apollyon by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Apollyon (Covenant, #4)
Oops. I usually try to keep my lists to one book per author just because, but this book needs to be on the list. Why? Because...DON'T THROW ROCKS AT ME, Y'ALL...I'm still working on this one. I am such a sequel-phobe. Whenever it comes to continuing a series, I get scared. Plus, I read the first three books back to back, so then when I had to wait for this one, I actually settled down for enough time that I actually thought of things to worry about. Goodness knows what Jen's going to do this time. But I am halfway through and am actually actively reading this book now. So I should finish it soon and then let you all laugh with me at how I had no reason to be scared and we can all anticipate Sentinel together. WOOT!
 
The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1) 
I have read Maggie's Shiver trilogy (looooooved). I have read The Scorpio Races (I'm pretty sure I loooooved that even more). So now I sit here with this other book of hers in front of me, worrying that this one won't live up to the awesomness I had created in my mind that this book should be. I'm fairly certain I'm just being silly. I'm probably going to love this book to pieces. But still.
 
Just One Day by Gayle Forman
Just One Day (Just One Day, #1) 
If I Stay was magnificent. Where She Went was as well. Adam Wilde is so...OHMYGOSH. So now there is another book by the author, and another boy, and I worry. Plus, said boy isn't in the whole book? Which worries me because as much as I try to be a well-rounded reader, romance is my thing. But then...I DID love the author's other two books...so I don't know. This book just conflicts me. PLUS, Just One Year's going to be in Willem's POV. If anything, I should read this book to be ready for that. But...gah! See? Books terrify the crap out of me.
 
Forever Too Far by Abbi Glines
Forever Too Far (Too Far, #3)
I have a huuuuuuuuuuuuufe Rush Crush. I mean, come on. How could I not? But a) this is the last book in the trilogy and b) what could possibly happen for another book to be necessary? Seriously, Never Too Far seemed like it was THE END. But then there was this book and I was SO HAPPY! But now that I have it, I am so scared of being disappointed. I am also reluctant to end this series. There are the spinoffs, but stiiiiill. This one. Right here. Is going to end. Waaaaah.
 
The Death Cure by James Dashner
The Death Cure (Maze Runner, #3) 
I'm not worried about what will happen at all. I'm not afraid of the outcome or what James Dashner is going to do to his characters. I mean, I'll care when I'm reading it, but that's not what keeps me from having enough confidence to read this book. I've had an ARC of this for FOREVER now. Since before I started my blog. (Got it for free at my library.) My reason here is I simply don't want the trilogy to end. BOOM. That's it. I picked up the first book forever ago not expecting at all to love it as much as I did. Then I moved on to the sequel and loved that as well. Now I just don't want to end this greatness. I will sometime. But until then, I am too much of a scaredy cat. ;)
 
What do you think of my list? What would you put on YOUR list?
 
♥Jessica(:

6 comments:

  1. Great list. I have Sweet Evil on my list too! I'm just scared that it'll be a little similar to Becca Fitzpatrick's Hush Hush (which I didn't really like). I don't want that to happen!

    The entire Bloodlines series is amazing. Purely because of Adrian Ivashkov.

    My top ten!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving it all. I liked Sweet Evil. It was good. I have to read Sweet Peril now.
    LOVED Obsidian. so silly to think I wouldn't. No way not to love it. I kind of feel intimidated by The Collector. I think everyone that likes Obsidian will like that and I'm worried. :P
    Cannot wait to read the Raven Boys. Just got it a couple of weeks ago, looks really good.
    And Forever Too Far. When this was released I was like whaaaat you can't add more issues to it. I would have preferred that it end the way it was.
    So all in all yeah I am really liking your list there :D

    -Tia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Obsidian too! I read it last month after putting off JLA for so long.

    I need to read The Host (but I've heard it's boring) and The Raven Boys too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have yet to read Obsidian or Apollyon. Now that I think of it, they do intimidate me a little bit. You should read Sweet Evil, it's amazing. And Kai is...well, Kai. And yes, Adrian in oh so lovable in Bloodlines :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Sweet Evil/Sweet Peril are one of my all time favorite series. Absolutely LOVE Kaidan! Make sure you check it out! Most on your list are really good so I would read them soon. I agree with The Host. I want to read it, tried once and it was a little slow to get into and SO long. Hopefully I'll read it and/or see the movie soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just watched The Host and I didn't like it that much. I think there's more to the book and now I'm tempted to read it 'cause I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! Comments make my day. I do read all the comments you post and try to reply if I can. If you leave a link, I will most definitely check it out! If you specifically ask a question, please check back for my reply!

As of October 2012, Just a Booklover is an award-free blog. I appreciate it so much that you want to award me with something, though!