Sunday, March 4, 2012

A Much too Lovable Demon

My first review! I though it would be very appropriate to start off my book-reviewing with a trilogy I have just finished and loved dearly. It's called The Demon's Lexicon trilogy by Sarah Rees Brennan. Book 1: The Demon's Lexicon, Book 2: The Demon's Covenant, and Book 3: The Demon's Surrender.

First thing's first. I LOVED THESE BOOKS. They are fantasy, but in a way that isn't all that mainstream, like Twilight or any other vampire or werewolf book out there. There are demons and magicians and you'd think that would be kind of boring, but it is actually enthralling. It is not like Harry Potter. There is no comparison to me.

So, the first book, The Demon's Lexicon. This one is written around Nick. Yes, Nick is a jerk. Yes, Nick can be infuriating. But give him a chance. Read the whole book, and everything about him will make sense, I promise you. The book begins in a totally everyday way: a leaky pipe under the sink. Then, BOOM. Nick and his brother have to fight some birds that fly into the kitchen. It sounds cheesy, but in reality it is a great way to jump into the plot. They get past the birds, and then enter soon-to-be new friends Mae and Jamie. These two are such wonderful characters, that make up for any complaints that could be made concerning Nick's. . .ways. Mae and Jamie have a problem, and come to Nick and his brother Alan for help. Since Alan is a kind guy, he tries to help. That is where a bunch of the book's issues come in. I refuse to give anything away, but there is a lot to find out throughout the story; secrets up the yin-yang. There will be a huge surprise at the end, that honestly is not something a reader would just be able to guess. I loved that. A lot of books these days have endings that are too prdictable: not this one.

So, give the first book a try, and then you get to move onto the second book, The Demon's Covenant. This one is based around Mae, and that is so refreshing. After the first book, full of Nick and his solid personality, it was nice to move onto Mae who has more feeling in her. Mae is such a strong character, and she is believable. Realistic. A reader can understand her desire to protect her brother and family while helping out friends who did so much for her. I am not going into detail at all here, because that would give away too much of the first book, but this book was an improvement on the first one, for sure. It added a lot of emotion that was lacking-for understandable reasons-from the first book. For people who like some romance in their books - like me - do not worry, there's some there. You will fall for someone in these pages, if not the pages of the first book, I'm sure. I did.

Lastly- The Demon's Surrender. This one is based around Sin. Before this book, I hadn't liked Sin. At all. She just annoyed me. She seemed too fake and full of herself and entitled. The fact that the third book was based around her put me off at first, but I had loved the begninning of the trilogy so much, I had to give it a try. I had to know how the brothers' story would end. So I gave it a shot, and it was phenominal. Do not count this book out because you have a predjudice against Sin. Once you see things through her eyes, she will not seem so bad. This book continues with problems that had been revealed in the first book. That's another great thing about this trilogy-the consistancy. The problems the characters face don't just disappear; they are faced realistically and in a clever orderliness. There is such a wise way that the characters deal with their problems that I found so fascinating. I would never have thought of a lot of the solutions they come up with, and I admire that. The characters are a satisfying mix of clever, brave, and personal. They have flaws. They have things to regret. But they are that much better for these facts. The ending of this trilogy is not a perfect ending. It leaves room for things to go wrong. But it is an ending that will not leave a reader wishing for something else. Well, other than another book because you will not want to say goodbye to these characters.

All in all, this trilogy was something I thought I would be unlikely to read. I gave it a shot anyway because I usually give books that are suggested top me a try. How else would I find new, wonderful stories to satisfy my fictional attractive character needs? If you have one of those cravings too, these books will satisfy them. There are lovable, realistic characters to choose from that you will not want to let go of. They face challenges that are entirely unreal, but we want to believe in anyway. That's the point of reading fantasy books, right? To escape to a world that is real in our minds, that we wish could actually happen in real life? I loved these books oh, so very much. On a scale from 1 to 10, I'd say it's a 10. It had everything I look for in a book and so much more that were just wonderful perks. READ THIS TRILOGY. :)

3 comments:

  1. I've yet to read these stories but your review has definitely made me interested. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!

    This is my first time on your blog but it most certainly will not be my last! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jen! You should really read these books, they are truly great. I hope you do visit my blog again! :)

      Delete
  2. I looooooooooooooved these books! I think it's great it was your first review on this blog! I can't wait to read more of her books.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! Comments make my day. I do read all the comments you post and try to reply if I can. If you leave a link, I will most definitely check it out! If you specifically ask a question, please check back for my reply!

As of October 2012, Just a Booklover is an award-free blog. I appreciate it so much that you want to award me with something, though!